Today, I was scheduled for 8 miles at an easy pace. After staying up *way* too late last night watching Buffy and working on the blanket I’m making, I finally dragged myself out of bed about 9 to set out.
By the time I actually left, it was about 75 degrees and sunny–a 180 from yesterday’s (awesome-for-running-but-I-was-too-hungover-to-run) weather. The first three miles were great. Easy pace, on a route that was partially shaded, it was great. Then *all.of.a.sudden* everything that could possibly go wrong, seemed to wrong all at once. Let’s have a look at the list:
- Heavy sweating turned to no sweat and chills;
- I realized I forgot sunscreen and was now in direct (almost noon) sun;
- Sharp hip pain on my injured hip;
- Backache (from my hydration pack?);
- Headache (from headband, earphones and sunglasses?);
- Water started getting light (I started with 1.5L!);
- Fingers and wrists started swelling.
So I turned around for home, and walked it in. Pretty dismal run, all things told.
At least I got to come home to Eric making breakfast like he does most long-run days…breakfast potatoes and scrambled eggs are soon to be in my belly!
I also saw a lot of fun wildlife today. Here’s a sampling:
- Grasshoppers & crickets
- Butterflies (tons!)
- Lizard (cute & green–about 3″ long + tail)
Stay tuned for a report about my first attempt at refinishing furniture! I’m going to start on two end tables this afternoon, and hope to have them done tomorrow.