All the cool kids are doing it…
Well, a few of our neighbors have been jumping on the “new front door color” bandwagon, and Eric and I decided to follow suit. We considered red, but our neighbor directly across the street chose red already. So we pulled out our Sherwin Williams color deck and took it outside. We settled on a dark orangey-red.
I started by meticulously washing the front door. Given the construction in our neighborhood, this took a little while. I settled in with a bucket and sponge for several minutes. Once I was done with all the nooks and crannies, I hosed off the door, and wiped it down/left it to dry for a little while.
I didn’t have time to get to Sherwin Williams, my usual go-to for my paint needs. But I work down the street from our local Lowe’s. So I stopped by at lunch one day last week to pick up supplies for this project. So for this project, I went with Valspar paint. I decided to prime the door, since I was going from black to a lighter color. Because I wasn’t going entirely white, I opted for a tinted primer–so my primer was a medium grey. So my next step was to prime the door. I lightly sanded the door (black paint and all), in the direction of the grain (always remember this!). After applying a light coat of primer, I let it set for the rest of the day. Because the heat index was going to be well over 100, I didn’t want to risk painting in the extreme heat since the can of paint said 50-90 degrees.
Next up were two coats of paint, with two hours of drying time in between. This was challenging, since I was home with the cats. I had to rig up a little barrier that allowed the door to stay open while preventing the cats from running away without me needing to stand next to the door all day. Our BOB sufficed, although each cat ran away a couple of times–but never got too far. To paint the door, I first sanded (lightly with fine-grit sandpaper) the primer in the direction of the grain, then used an angled paintbrush to paint the inset portions of the door panels, and a door/cabinet 4″ foam roller for the flat parts. This worked great. Here’s what it looked like after one coat:
I wasn’t 100% thrilled with the performance of the Valspar paint, despite having gone with the paint + primer in one option (in addition to the stand-alone primer). After the first coat, there were definitely places that you could still see the primer. But a second coat did the trick, and then I was left with this–the final result!